Happy New Year! I loved Puerto Rico but it feels great to be home because we’re back to having complete control of our meals, among other things.
Returning to DSD for these workouts is simply amazing. However, time off is always nice- especially when you spend it with those you love. Here was Friday’s training:
Deadlifts: 135*5, 185*5, 225*3, 255*3, 295*2, 330*2, 340Ib*1, 345*1, 295Ib*5
DB High Pulls: x8
Hanging Leg Raises: x10
Prowler shuttle: high then low (weighted)
Five rounds on the last two. I was destroyed after.
A new year, throw in more new coffee from Doubleshot and we’re all heading in the right direction. Feels great being back at the shop. If you’re able and willing to buy (online) or stop in, please do. I’m telling you, don’t take our fresh roasted coffee for granted.
This year, learn to take pleasure in DoubleShot coffee, branch out – challenge yourself to experience something new!
Come by the shop and let us make a pourover of coffee for you or pull freshly roasted shoots of espresso. Cheers!
I also had a blast at the DSD Strongman competition but I don’t have any video of it. Enjoy.
First session of 2014 in the books. I’m approaching one year since I started training at DSD with the men’s group. I remember when I first started. About twenty something men… only a handful remain in this particular group.
Life happens, injuries and so on, I’m thankful I’ve been able to remain through it all. My focus is to continue to improve in everything I do: work, as a husband, school, in my training, etc.
- Bench Press
5×2 160lbClose Grip Bench
- Band Pulls (grey bands)
- Squat to DB Overhead press
As many rounds in eight minutes. Then we did the following with the same time restraints.
- Pull downs (black bands)
- Dips (weighted/body weight
Finished with 75 yard shuttles, toe and all, I got through it. Still can’t run at full speed but I felt great.
- Cut down to 10% bodyfat.
- Improve my bench press: 225Ib*1, then 2,3,4,5
- Join the 400Ib Deadlift club
- Catch one of the DSD record holders: whatever comes first but I’ve got an itch for that pull up record.
- Read the final volume to the series by N.T Wright this year.
Lifting with my new training belt recommend by my dad. This was my first training session since returning from vocation in Puerto Rico.
Those ten days with family were priceless.
Only downside, I may have broke my toe. Anyhow, we started with squats: worked up to 235Ib*5 for three sets.
Throw in pull ups, KB squats, shurgs, face pulls, med ball slams and sprints. Felt great to put in the work again at DSD.
Ten days remaining until the StrongLifts competition. Still working on getting my weight down another five pounds (165Ib- class). Here’s some updates and high moments from my training at DSD during the last two weeks.
Last Friday I worked up to 345Ib on deadlift for a single (rep) which was a PR for me at 170Ib body weight. 5*10 on hanging leg raises, followed by our strongman finisher:
- Snatch Grip Shrugs: 185Ib*10- got in three sets
- Famers Walks: 250Ib+*40 yards total
- Log Press: 98Ib*10, 5, 5; 65Ib*5
- Med Ball throws: 30Ib*5* ea arm
- Yoke Walks: 250Ib+ down/back about 40 yard or so total- completed two rounds.
- Weighted Yoke Walk: 305Ib* down/back about 40 yards total.
This past Monday I worked up to 245Ib for a triple on squats. Then we went through the following:
- Med Ball Slams: 4*10
- KB RDL: 3*10*50Ib
- Pull Downs (Black bands): 3*15
- KB Squats: 3*10*40Ib
- Push Position up/downs: 3*10*BW
Yesterday (Wednesday) training started with warmup, shoulder warmup then to bench pressing. I worked up to 185Ib for three reps. Add on five sets of ten on band pull a parts using red bands. Then:
- KB Push Press: 10*50Ib, 10*35Ib*2
- Barbell Bent Rows: 3*10*95Ib (underhand Grip)
- Tricep pushdowns (bands): x20
- Bicep speed work (bands): x20
- Prowler: 45Ib* each side – high handle one way, low handle the way back.
Today: I did some conditioning after work.
- Jumprope: x100
- KB Swing: x20*50Ib
- Jumprope: x100
- Weighted KB Walk: 35Ib*ea hand-shelved to target the abdominals, lats and so on.
Completed five rounds.
16 days away from the StrongLifts competition and I’m down to 170Ib and counting, hopefully. I’ve really focused on eating smaller meals loaded with protein and if a meal is bigger it’s mostly loaded with salmon, tons of greens and different beans.
Carbs must be timed accordingly, certain types before and after training. Small amounts of fat sources are also included like walnuts, flaxseed, avocado, almond butter, peanut butter and so on. I’m not going crazy of these sources because they could add to weight gain instead of loss.
I’m also using SunWarrior blend in my smoothies. On to the Wednesday’s training:
- Bench: 95Ib*5, 135Ib*5, 155Ib*5, 165Ib*5, 185Ib*1*5
- Band Pull aparts: 5*10*Red Band
- KB Push Press: 3*5- worked up to 50Ib kettlebells
- Bent Over Rows: 3*10*95Ib
- Tricep push downs: 4*20*Grey Bands
- Close Grip Pushups: 4*10*BW
- Fatz Grip DB Curls: 3*10*25Ib, 1*10*20Ib
- Fast Curls: x20*Red Bands
- Prowler (2*45Ib*ea side): 40yards per round I believe